Today, we’ve explored changes to the Calendar tool in the upcoming May 3rd- 5th Carmen update. First, we’ve looked at an overview of the Calendar. Next, we examined how the Calendar tool interacts with other tools within Carmen.
The following post discusses two additional features of the Calendar tool: how to create events and manage tasks within the Calendar.
To create an event, click the Create Event button from one of the five views (e.g. Agenda, Day, Week, Month, List). You will then be taken to the Create Event page shown below.
From the Create Event page, you can click the Add Content button to attach content from your Table of Contents. You will also have the ability to add recurrences, restrictions and attendees names. In addition, you can set a location and time-frame for your event.
In addition to manually creating an event, Instructors can also import events directly into the Calendar. Students will likewise have the ability to import events, but they will be unable to create them.
To import an event, click the Import Events button from one of four views: Agenda, Day, Week or Month. If utilizing the List view, you will need to follow two steps: click the More Actions button and then select Import Events from the drop-down list.
A pop-up box appears, prompting you to upload your calendar file and assign attendees.
Please note: Events must be imported as iCal files.
The Tasks section of the Calendar is a new feature, designed to help both students and instructors organize tasks. In short, the Task feature is your To Do list. You can assign tasks with dates (or without dates) as well as provide details. You can then check off and delete your list as you accomplish your goals.
Initially your task area will look blank, similar to the image below. Once populated, however, your Tasks area will show two sections: Upcoming and Someday. Upcoming will display upcoming tasks containing due dates. Someday will display tasks without due dates. At any point, you may view all completed tasks by clicking the “View Completed Tasks” link.
The following steps will walk you through how to create a task.
1. To add a task, click within the Add a task box and type your task name.
2. Press Enter on your keyboard. Your task will appear with a blank box to the left.
3. To add details, set a due date or delete your task, click the task name. In our case, you would click Testing. You will then see the image below. In this area, you should see three sections: a trash bin, No due date and Add a note.
4. Click No due date to add a due date. Once you add a due date, click the floppy disk icon to save the date.
5. Click Add a note to add details to your task. Click anywhere on the screen to exit the note section and save your comments.
6. To delete your task, click the trash bin icon.
7. To return to your task list, click the Task link above your Task name.
8. To check off a task, click the blank box to the left of the Task name. Your task will move into the “View Completed Tasks” list, accessible using the link “View Completed Tasks” link.